HERE’S EVERYTHING YOU WANT
TO KNOW ABOUT US
Who we are
Mozart Young Academy is a dynamic new piano and music theory education programme for primary and intermediate level children in Wellington, New Zealand (although we have been known to take on a few keen parents as well). We primarily teach in schools during school hours but we also offer private piano lessons to students whose schools are not yet involved in the programme.
Our piano lessons focus on the heart and imagination of music, taking inspiration from one of the greatest musicians of all time, Mozart. We teach piano but encourage all our young players to have fun with writing music and to explore their creativity. Regular performances are held as landmark events throughout the year to showcase hard work and a sense of pride in every student’s achievements.
Jonathan Crehan, Founder/Director
Jonathan Crehan is the founder and director of Mozart Young Academy. His experience in music spans 15 years, beginning as a pianist at the age of seven and composer at the age of eight. In 2008 and 2009 Jonathan had the distinction of being the Composer-in-Residence at Samuel Marsden Collegiate School. He is now an award-winning composer, the Musical Director for Khandallah Presbyterian Church, and a gifted teacher.
- Winner 2009, Classical Marimba League Composers Competition (USA)
- Winner 2008, 7th ADAM International Cello Festival Young Composer Competition (NZ)
- Winner 2008,The Orpheus Publications Composer Competition (Australia)
- Special Commendation 2008, Wallbrook Singers Composer Competition (UK)
- Winner 2003, Muriel May Competition for Instrumental Excellence (NZ)
- Winner 2003, Under 20's Prize, NPO/Puke Ariki Composer Competition (NZ)
- Finalist 2001, Auckland Philharmonia's Young Composer Competition (NZ)
- Associate Trinity College, London (High Excellence, Piano Recital)
- Associate Musicianship Trinity College, London (Musical Theory and Criticism)
- Bachelor of Music with First Class Honours (Composition)
- Victoria University 2005-2008
- Private Study with Sir William Southgate 2008-2009
- Victoria University (First-Class Honours) 2009
- Muriel May Trust Scholarship
- Dame Malvina Major Foundation Scholarships
- West End Rotary Foundation Educational Scholarship
- Yarrows Educational Trust Scholarships
- Lankhuyzen/Whetu Kairangi Masonic Trust Awards
If you have more questions about our piano lessons, please contact us for more information
We currently teach at the following schools:
- Cardinal McKeefry School
- Clifton Terrace Model School
- Newtown School
- Owhiro Bay School
- Ridgway School
- South Wellington Intermediate
- St Bernard's School
- See all participating schools...
To find out about getting your school involved click here
Download Application forms:
Register for email updates on MYA news and events.
- 01 October - Term 3 Experience: NZSM Young Musicians Programme!